Best Microsoft Excel Bloggers

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day of the Week

Day of the Week and Weekday()

I was working with dates and had to remind myself on how to display a date as a day of the week so I thought perhaps some of you might be interested in it too.

I was double-checking items and I wanted to verify that nothing was occurring on the weekend so the easiest way to do that would be for Excel to tell what day of the week that date was. 

In Cell A4 I had my date so all I needed to do was enter =Text(A4,"ddd") and it displayed Thu for November 1st.  If I had entered =Text(A4,"dddd") it would display Thursday.
Pretty easy - eh?


If you wanted to incorporate this into an IF or some other formula then you might prefer to have the actual number of the day as opposed to the text. In that case, you can use the Weekday function. The resulting answer for November 1,2012 is 5 which is Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Ms. Excel- Resident Excel Geek